Recipe for Lal masoor dal
- 1 cup lal masoor dal (red lentils/ malka masoor)
- 1 onion- chopped
- 4 garlic cloves- chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp curd (yogurt) - beaten
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
Soak dal for 1/2 an hour, drain. Place dal with 2 1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and onion in a pressure cooker. Let 2 whistles come. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let the pressure drop before removing the lid of the cooker.
Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and garlic. When they change color, add asafoetida. Add this tempering (tadka, chhownk) to the boiled dal.
Add curd to the dal and mix well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Add the suggested quantity of yogurt for great taste as too much yogurt will spoil it
by Pak101.com (few years ago!) / 1629 views